St. Michael's Lutheran Church in Quiggleville, ELCA

 

St. Michael’s started out 174 years ago as a small congregation meeting in a Perryville schoolhouse and a log schoolhouse in Quiggleville along what was known then as Gap Run (in the prohibition it was dubbed Brandy Run).  In 1862 the congregation moved to its present location on the hill. 

 

Since 1902 St. Michael’s Lutheran Church is worshipping in its second building in this location.  The original deed states “worship in both, the German and the English language shall not be forbidden.” An Education wing has been added in 1966 and a fellowship hall was built in 1997.  The newest addition is a picnic pavilion above the cemetery in 2002 and a stained glass window in 2006.

 

The window has been salvaged from old St. Paul Lutheran Church on the corner of Third and Williams Streets, Williamsport, that was torn down in the 1920ies.  The window was stored in the attic of at St. Paul Lutheran Church on Fourth Street. When the congregation dissolved it was given to St. Michael’s. Extensive restoration was done by Rick Wolfe of Watsontown Glass, Watsontown, PA Marilyn Seeling of Trout Run, PA. 

 

St. Michael’s was founded by Rev. Gustav Schultz, a German, born in Warsaw, who served in Napoleon’s army and was one of the few survivors of his Russian campaign.  He is said to have founded 14 congregations in Pennsylvania.  He served St. Michael’s until his retirement at the age of 88, suggesting that his successor may be able to preach in English.

 

For the many years St. Michael’s shared a pastor with other congregations or had Rev. Zweier coming up from Susquehanna University in Selinsgrove by train. Since 1952 St. Michael’s is able to support a pastor on its own.

 

Today St. Michael’s presents itself as an active community oriented church that is famous for church festival, chicken and biscuit dinners, soup suppers, yard and rummage sales.  

 

St. Michael’s is part of the Upper Susquehanna Synod, ELCA and supports ecumenical ministries, like United Churches of Lycoming County, the Shepherd of the Streets, and the Hepburn Lycoming Food and Fuel Bank.  St. Michael’s people were able to strengthen the relationship with our Christian brothers and sisters of the United Methodist Church across the valley. We reach out to students at Penn College through United Campus Ministry.  We keep a connection to our companions in the Lutheran Church in Liberia.

 

Every Sunday young and old gather for Sunday School and worship.  With adoption of our new hymnals Evangelical Lutheran Worship we have made an effort to include both contemporary and traditional hymns in our worship.

Make a free website with Yola